Friday, July 15, 2011

Study Attempts

These are a few of my attempts to learn from Preston Blair's animation book.








I must confess that at this point in my development I'm finding myself going largely off of instinct, maybe out of fear for where I'll find myself when I'm actually forced to go through my knowledge and design something objectively. In that way my drawings show an anarchy that probably stems from a lack of disciplined studies and an overabundance of doodles, which, while fun, do much less to help me grow as a technical artist.


I'm a bit lost from here, not sure how much I have to unlearn before I can begin my progression again, so any guidance would be highly appreciated.


For what it's worth, here's the kind of weird crap I'll usually end up producing











Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Hi Mattie, I'm starting to work through some cartoon lessons too.

I have to say the things you have done from Preston Blair look really solid! The eyes on meathead look firmly placed on his skull

If you can, use photoshop or something to place your drawing over the image your copying, make it 50% clear and compare the two.

That's just something I do, it helps me see what I did wrong etc.